Machete is a convenient utility for playing and editing multimedia files. Currently, Machete can edit video and audio files in AVI, FLV, WMV, MKV, WebM, MP4, 3GP, 3G2, MOV, WMA, MP3 and WAV formats. The support of editing functions for other formats is planned for future versions of the program.
With its extremely user-friendly design, Machete is an ideal solution for quick and easy "slicing" of your multimedia files. You can delete unnecessary fragments (e.g. cut out commercials), copy, move, mix and save individual pieces. This means that Machete combines the functionality of both video splitter (cutter, trimmer), video joiner (for joining multimedia files with exactly the same formats) and more.
None of the editing operations in Machete requires re-encoding of video or audio streams. This is why the editing process is very quick and does not lead to any loss of video quality. This puts Machete in the category of lossless video editors. Also, it means that you do not need a powerful and expensive computer to edit your video material. After a file is edited and saved, it retains its original format.
Machete fully supports Windows Clipboard functionality. It means that you do not need to save the file after each editing operation. You can do all the editing that you need in the main window, view the result and save the resulting file just once.
The program does not require installation of any special codecs in addition to regular decoders that are needed for video viewing and audio playback.
With Machete, you can do the following:
- Play AVI, WMV, MKV, WebM, 3GP, 3G2, MP4, MOV, WMA, MP3, WAV and FLV video and audio files, as well as some others
- Edit FLV (Flash Video) video and audio files (*.flv)
- most video codecs supported: H.263 (FLV1), On2 VP6 (FLV4) and H.264 (AVC)
- most audio codecs supported: AAC, MP3 and others
Edit MP4 (MPEG-4) and MOV (Apple QuickTime) video and audio files (*.mp4, *.mov)
- most video codecs supported: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MP4V
- most audio codecs supported: MP3, AAC, AC3, DTS and others
Edit 3GP (3GPP) and 3G2 (3GPP2) audio and video files (*.3gp, *.3g2)
- most video codecs supported: H.263, MP4V
- only AAC and AMR audio codecs supported
Edit MKV (Matroska) video and audio files (*.mkv, *.mka)
- most video codecs supported: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC) and others
- most audio codecs supported: AAC, MP3, AC3, DTS and others
Edit WebM video and audio files (*.webm)
- only VP8 and VP9 video codecs supported
- only Vorbis and Opus audio codecs supported
Edit WMV video files (*.wmv, *.asf) and WMA audio files(*.wma)
- most video codecs supported: WMV, MSS and others
- most audio codecs supported: WMA, MP3 and others
Edit AVI video files (*.avi)
- most video codecs supported: DV (Digital Video Type 1, 2), DivX, XviD and others
- most audio codecs supported: MP3 (VBR and CBR), AC3 and others
Edit MP3 (MPEG Layer-3) audio files (*.mp3)
- VBR and CBR encoding supported
Edit uncompressed WAV (Waveform audio format) audio files (*.wav)
- PCM bitstream supported
* For all formats listed above, the following editing operations are available:
- cut, copy, delete and paste fragments of video files
- save video fragments as separate files
- insert one video file into another file of the same format
- Edit file tags (metadata) for all supported media formats
- Extract and save audio stream as a separate file
- Extract and save video stream as a separate file
- Add/Replace audio stream in video files
- Save a video frame as a bitmap (*.bmp) file, and as PNG (*.png) and JPEG (*.jpg) in Windows Vista and later